Friday 28 June 2013

Yee-ha!

Finally! I can finally post these pics! This is the make-up roll that I was making for my sister. It only took me a couple of hours one Sunday and I finished off the closing stitches during the week. I wanted to wait until I posted it to her so she wouldn't see the secret bits I added!

The pattern was from an edition of Craft Seller from a couple of summers ago. I simplified it as it was made from almost patchwork style bits and I wanted a solid  print. 

Quite simply,

- cut two pieces of fabric to 21 x 30 cm. these will be the outside and inside of the roll.

- cut another piece of fabric to 16 x 30 cm. this will be the pocket.

- iron interfacing to the back of all three pieces of fabric. This gives your work structure and stiffness. You might prefer a looser roll so feel free to skip the interfacing on the two larger pieces BUT do still interface the pocket fabric as it will make it more hard-wearing and professional looking.

- take the pocket material and fold over half a centimetre and the top long edge, then fold it over again. Iron the fold to smooth it down the run a quick straight stitch along it on the sewing machine.

- Put the pocket material wrong side down on the right side of the inner fabric piece, pin together and sew vertical lines starting at 1 inch from the left. Carry on sewing along 1 inch intervals to create the brush pockets. You will have a wider gap for the last pocket but this was intentional as my sis wanted to make sure she could fit her big blusher brush in!

- Pin the outer piece and the now-joined inner piece and pocket right sides together, pin and sew a straight stitch seam about 1 cm from the edge. Remember to leave a gap to turn right side out.

I added a ribbon in before I machine-stitched the piece. I simply got a length of ribbon - up to you what length - and pinned it into the seam with the ribbon being tucked out of the way inside.

- iron, turn out using a chopstick if needed to push corners out neatly. Before I turned mine out, I chopped the corners off diagonally to try and get sharper corners.

- add button or any other embellishments, hand-stitch opening closed, roll et voila! :)

Sis had picked the fabric from my stash. It's Cath Kidston Cowboy fabric and it's quite thick. She then chose red polkadot for the pockets and I added the handmade fabric button and swallow ribbon. The ribbon was free with Cloth magazine and you might remember I added it to a hat I bought a few weeks ago. And to the photos...






No comments:

Post a Comment